|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Chatham and Gillingham Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Medway Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1903|
|Gillingham, Kent, England||municipal borough into which it was moved in 1903|
|Medway, Kent, England||unitary authority which has covered the area since 1998|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lidsing from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LIDSING, or LIDGEN, a ville in Medway [registration] district, Kent; 3¼ miles SE of Chatham. Acres: 439; of which 40 are water. Population: 30. Houses: 5. The ville forms a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Gillingham, in the diocese of Rochester."
Lidsing was a chapelry of the ancient parish of Gillingham in the Chatham and Gillingham Hundred. It was located at the southernmost point of the parish of Gillingham. It was made a civil parish in the 19th century and became part of Medway Rural District in 1894. In 1903 it was transferred to Gillingham Municipal Borough and ten years later was abolished and absorbed into the civil parish of Gillingham itself. It is now part of Medway unitary authority.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Lidsing, Kent, England | Chatham and Gillingham Hundred, Kent, England | Medway Rural, Kent, England | Gillingham, Kent, England | Medway, Kent, England