- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Lancaut (Welsh: Llan Cewydd) is a deserted village in Gloucestershire, England, located alongside the River Wye, around two miles north of Chepstow. It occupies a narrow-necked promontory formed by a curve of the river, which acts as the border between England and Wales. Little remains of the village today, except for the roofless church of St. James.
The village was never large, but in 1306 contained 10 tenant households, and in 1551 had 19 adults. By 1750 the village had only two inhabited houses, and in 1848 the parish was recorded as having a mere 16 inhabitants. The civil parish was merged with Tidenham in 1935. Today there is little remaining of the village except for a still-working farm. (Sources: Wikipedia)
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Lancaut.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Tidenham with Lancaut from The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Westbury Hundred, available online on the website British History Online.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Lancaut, Gloucestershire, England | Tidenham, Gloucestershire, England | Westbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Chepstow Registration District, Monmouthshire, Wales | Forest of Dean Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England