Place:Lamberhurst, Kent, England

Watchers
NameLamberhurst
Alt namesThe Downsource: hamlet in parish
Hook Green (Lamberhurst)source: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.097°N 0.393°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoBrenchley and Horsmonden Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Tonbridge Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Tunbridge Wells District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality into which the parish was transferred in 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Lamberhurst is a village and civil parish in Kent, England which also contains the hamlets of The Down and Hook Green (Lamberhurst). (There is another Hook Green in the parish of Meopham). At the 2001 UK census it had a population of 1,491, increasing to 1,706 at the 2011 UK census.

When Lamberhurst civil parish was formed in the 19th century it was in both Kent and East Sussex. The line of the county border was adjusted following the Local Government Act 1894, which required that parish boundaries be aligned with counties.

Prior to the Industrial Revolution, Lamberhurst was a centre for the Wealden iron industry, originally set up during Roman times.

The village lies in the valley of the River Teise, one of the main tributaries of the River Medway. The valley of one of its tributaries, the River Bewl, was dammed and flooded between 1973 and 1975 creating the Bewl Water reservoir. The village itself has a large conservation area with a large number of 17th and 18th century buildings, and the Strict Baptist Church, established in the village since the 18th century.

To the west of the high street, The Broadway, are the ruins of Bayham Old Abbey and to the east the 14th century Scotney Castle. The moat and lake in the grounds of the latter is the result of a dam on the Sweetbourne stream.

Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
  • The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lamberhurst. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.