|Alt names||Kingston-Lisle||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Spersolt||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 36|
|Kingston Lisle, Oxfordshire||source: redirected|
|Fawler (near Shrivenham)||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Berkshire, England|
|Also located in||Oxfordshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Sparsholt, Berkshire, England||parish in which it was a chapelry until 1866|
|Shrivenham Hundred, Berkshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Faringdon Rural, Berkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was located until 1974|
|Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, England||administrative district in which the parish has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: Another place named Kingston Bagpuize was also transferred to Oxfordshire from Berkshire in 1974, and the village of Kingston Blount has always been in Oxfordshire.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Kingston Lisle is a village and civil parish in the Vale of White Horse District in Oxfordshire, England. Kingston Lisle was located in Berkshire until the 1974 local government boundary changes transferred the Vale of White Horse to Oxfordshire. In the UK census of 2001 it had a population of 249. The parish and former chapelry contain the hamlet of Fawler, north of the main settlement.
Kingston Lisle is at the foot of the Berkshire Downs escarpment 64 miles (103 km) west of London. The local town is Wantage 5 miles (8 km) to the east, and the large town of Swindon is 10 miles (16 km) to the west. The village is at the foot of Blowing Stone Hill and is one of many spring line settlements at the foot of the scarp of the White Horse Hills. The Uffington White Horse, Uffington Castle and the Ridgeway are nearby.
Until 1866 Kingston Lisle was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Sparsholt. In 1866 it became a separate civil parish. In 1894 it became part of Faringdon Rural District and in 1974 it was transferred to Oxfordshire along with surrounding civil parishes.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kingston Lisle from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "KINGSTON-LISLE, a village and a chapelry in Sparsholt parish, Berks. The village stands near the Ridge-way, and near the Wilts and Berks canal, 2¾ miles S W of Challow [railway] station, and 4½ W of Wantage; and has a post office under Wantage. The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Fawler. Acres: 2,060. Real property: £3,186. Population: 370. Houses: 73. The manor, with Kingston-Lisle House, belongs to E. M. Atkins, Esq. The Blowing stone, near the village, measures about 3½ feet in breadth, 2 in width, and 3 in height; is pierced, on each side, with holes; and, on being hastily blown into at any of the holes, emits a sound which can be heard at a distance of 6 miles. It is a kind of red sandstone; and is traditionally said to have formerly been used for giving alarm on the approach of an enemy. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Sparsholt, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is old, has a small tower, and was restored in 1865."
- GENUKI's collection of maps for Berkshire. For basic reference are the two online maps Berkshire Parishes (highly recommended) and Berkshire Poor Law Union areas. These locate the individual parishes and indicate the urban and rural districts to which each belonged. There are many other maps listed, some covering specific parts of the county.
- Wikipedia's outline map of the unitary authorities, shown on many of their Berkshire pages, shows how the new divisions of government relate to the former districts. It has to be remembered that the county was reshaped in 1974 with the urban and rural districts of Abingdon and Faringdon and part of Wantage going to Oxfordshire, and the Borough of Slough (with Eton) coming in from Buckinghamshire. Every attempt is being made to indicate here in WeRelate the civil parishes, towns and villages for which these transfers occurred. Currently there are maps to be found on place pages that deal with civil parishes that transferred from Buckinghamshire into Berkshire. It is planned to provide maps within WeRelate for places that transferred from Berkshire to Oxfordshire--a much wider geographical area.
- The extensive collection provided by Genmaps is provided free of charge online (currently offline, March 2016).
- The Ordnance Survey has produced an up-to-date map of the boundaries of all the post-1974 districts throughout the country. This also shows the electoral constituency boundaries which are destined to change before 2020.
Online Historical References
- Berkshire Record Office. The Berkshire Record Office [BRO] was established in 1948 to locate and preserve records relating to the county of Berkshire and its people, and anyone who is interested in the county's past. As well as original documents, catalogues and indexes, there is a library at the Record Office.
- Berkshire Family History Society Research Centre. "The Berks FHS Centre can help you - wherever your ancestors came from. There is a Research Centre Library open to all."
- West Berkshire Museum, Newbury, is housed in a building with an interesting past, but is currently closed for redevelopment. No information on their collections.
- The GENUKI provision for Berkshire has been updated more recently than that for some of the other counties. A member of the Berkshire Family History Society is credited with this revision.
- The FamilySearch Wiki on Berkshire explains the jurisdictions relating to civil affairs, parishes and probate (wills and testaments) for each parish in the county and also outlines when these jurisdictions were in existence. Alterations required to cover the post-1974 period have not been carried out for every parish concerned.
- Brett Langston's list of Registration Districts in Berkshire will lead to specific parishes with dates.
- Local History Online is a compilation of websites from Berkshire local history clubs, societies and associations.
- The Berkshire section of The Victoria History of the Counties of England, in four volumes, is provided by British History Online. Volumes 3 and 4 provide an extensive history of the county, parish by parish, up to the end of the 19th century. There are local maps illustrating the text. Manors and their owners are discussed. Parishes are arranged in their original "hundreds"; the hundred for each placename in the Berkshire section of WeRelate will eventually be available.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Categories: Berkshire, England | Kingston Lisle, Berkshire, England | Sparsholt, Berkshire, England | Shrivenham Hundred, Berkshire, England | Faringdon Rural, Berkshire, England | Vale of White Horse District, Oxfordshire, England | Oxfordshire, England