King and Queen County is a county located in the Middle Peninsula and is included in the Richmond, VA metropolitan area. As of the 2010 census, the population was 6,945. Its county seat is King and Queen Court House.
King and Queen County was established in 1691 from New Kent County. The county is named for King William III and Queen Mary II of England. King and Queen County is notable as one of the few counties in the United States of America to have recorded a larger population in the 1790 census than in the 2000 one.
Among the earliest settlers of King and Queen County was Roger Shackelford, an emigrant from Old Alresford, Hampshire, England, after which the village of Shacklefords, Virginia, in King and Queen County is named. Shackelford's descendants continued to live in the county, and by the nineteenth century had intermarried with the Taliaferro, Beverley, Thornton and Sears families, among others.
For many years, county publications noted that the county lacked any traffic lights. This is now no longer the case, as a traffic light has been installed on U.S. Route 360 at St. Stephen's Church.
The county contains no incorporated towns and is among the more rustic of the counties of Virginia.