It gives its name to Kerridge Ridge – one of the western foothills of the Pennines – by which it stands. It is overlooked by the local landmark of White Nancy. The local industries were quarrying and cotton mills, of which remnants remain.
On 29 February 1912, the Macclesfield Canal at Kerridge burst its banks, flooding several nearby streets.
Kerridge itself comes from 'key ridge', and was known in Old English as 'Gaeg Hrycg'.