Jacksdale is a small former mining village situated in Ashfield District Council administrative area, part of the English county of Nottinghamshire. Lying close to the Derbyshire border, it is the most westerly place within the county boundaries. Neighbouring villages include Selston, Brinsley, Pye Hill and Ironville. Jacksdale and Westwood are interlinking villages, although houses in Westwood are usually referred to as being 'newer' with 86% of housing in Jacksdale built pre-1918.
Jacksdale's pit was first sunk in 1874 by James Oakes & Co. Its entrance was sited at Selston Road at an 'exposed' section of the Nottinghamshire coalfield. Pye Hill pit as it was known was actually the amalgamation of three individual pits sunk by different mining companies, Jacksdale's pit was renamed "Pye Hill No 2", No 1 being Selston/Underwood and No 3 at New Selston. Pye Hill pit was closed in 1985, and the spoil heaps have since been made safe and landscaped for walking, providing access to nearby Jubilee Hill.
Local amenities include a Post Office, supermarket, chemist, hair salons and barbers, estate agency and lettings agency, hardware and motorparts outlet, betting shop, garage, butchers, newsagent, library, Miner's Welfare, tea room, schools, Pentecostal Church, Chinese restaurant, 'Community Centre', chip shop, Dentist, Doctors' surgery and a Garden centre.