- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Chipstead is a predominantly commuter village in north-east Surrey, England. Its rolling landscape meant that Chipstead's development was late and restricted compared to parishes of comparable distance from London.
The parish contains the hamlets of Hooley and Netherne-on-the-Hill. (redirected here)
Chipstead was part of the Reigate Rural District from 1894 until 1933, the Banstead Urban District from 1933 until 1974, and of the Tandridge District since 1974.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chipstead from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHIPSTEAD, a parish in Reigate [registration] district, Surrey; on the Brighton railway, 2 miles N of Merstham [railway] station, and 5 NNE of Reigate. It has a post office under Red Hill [Redhill]. Acres 2,333. Real property: £2,592. Population: 541. Houses 110. The property is divided among a few. Pirbright is the seat of Rasch, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £431. Patron: Col. Hylton Jolliffe. The church ranges from early Norman to perpendicular English; has a low central tower; stands on a conspicuous site; was recently well restored; and contains mementos of the Stephenses, the eldest daughter of Hooker, author of the "Ecclesiastical Polity, " and Sir Edward Banks, the architect. An endowed school has £70 a year."
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Chipstead.
Surrey Research Tips
Part of a list taken from GENUKI
Archives and Libraries
Surrey Cemeteries & Crematoriums
- Registration Districts in Surrey for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.