Place:Hinxhill, Kent, England

Watchers
NameHinxhill
Alt namesNackholtsource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.149°N 0.935°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoChart and Longbridge Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
East Ashford Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Ashford District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hinxhill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HINXHILL, a parish in East Ashford [registration] district, Kent; near the river Stour, 3 miles E by N of Ashford [railway] station. It was anciently called Hengestelle; it contains the hamlet of Nackholt; and its post town is Ashford. Acres: 663. Real property: £1,380. Population: 128. Houses: 24. The property is subdivided. A subterranean fire broke out here in 1727, lasted six weeks, and burned three acres of ground to a state of red ashes. The living is a rectory, now united with the rectory of Brook, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £200. Patrons: alternately Sir Courtenay Honeywood, Bart., and the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is early English, in good condition; comprises two aisles and two chancels; and contains a fine monument to R. Edolph, Esq."

Hinxhill was originally an ancient parish in the Chart and Longbridge Hundred. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the East Ashford Rural District. Since 1974 Hinxhill has joined with the larger parish of Wye to become the civil parish of "Wye with Hinxhill" within the non-metropolitan Ashford District. (There is an article on Wye with Hinxhill in Wikipedia.)

Co-ordinates taken from Google Earth after comparison with Ordnance Survey map of 1900.

Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
  • The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Hinxhill. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.