Hett is now a large hamlet in County Durham, England. It is situated a few miles south of Durham. Hett is largely surrounded by farmland. To the south, rape fields are predominant while at the northern end, cattle are grazed year round. It is believed to derive its name from its topography - the village sits on a low rounded hill shaped like a hat (Hætt in old English).
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hett from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Hett was originally a township in Merrington ancient parish. It became a civil parish in 1866 and part of the Durham Rural District from 1894 until 1974. It was transferred to the City of Durham non-metropolitan district in 1974 when it was renamed Croxdale and Hett and also covered the former township and civil parish of Sunderland Bridge. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.