Place:Hepscott, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.149°N 1.651°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoMorpeth, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Morpeth Castle, Northumberland, Englandparish partly absorbed in 1935
Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hepscott from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HEPSCOTT, a township in Morpeth parish, Northumberland; within Morpeth borough, on the Blyth and Tyne railway, near the river Wansbeck, 2 miles SE of Morpeth. It has a station on the railway. Acres: 1,594. Population: 253. Houses: 41.

Hepscott was a township in the ancient parish of Morpeth and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1935 it absorbed part of the neighbouring parish of Morpeth Castle. It became part of the Castle Morpeth District of Northumberland from 1974 until 2009 when the district was abolished and Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.