|Alt names||Appetuna||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 190|
|Habetuna||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 190|
|Habituna||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 190|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England|
|See also||Depwade Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Depwade Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Tharston, Norfolk, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
|South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hapton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HAPTON, a parish in Depwade [registration] district, Norfolk; adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 1 mile SW of Flordon [railway] station, and 3 miles NW of Long Stratton. Post town: Flordon, under Long Stratton. Acres: 695. Real property: £1,226. Population: 196. Houses: 44. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Berners. The living is a Vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £100. Patron: Christ College, Cambridge. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There is a Unitarian chapel."
In 1935 the parish of Hapton was abolished and the land absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Tharston.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Hapton. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Hapton, Norfolk, England | Depwade Hundred, Norfolk, England | Depwade Rural, Norfolk, England | Tharston, Norfolk, England | South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England