|Alt names||Hadescou||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 190|
|Hatescou||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 190|
|Located in||Norfolk, England|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Haddiscoe is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. It is situated some 30 km south-east of the city of Norwich, but only 10 km west of the Suffolk town of Lowestoft.
The civil parish has an area of
and in the 2001 census had a population of 481 in 194 households. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of South Norfolk.
Haddiscoe railway station, on the Wherry Lines service between Norwich and Lowestoft, is within the parish although approximately 2.5 km from the centre of the village. The Haddiscoe Cut (New Cut), a canal which joins the River Waveney and the River Yare, joins the River Waveney within the parish and close to the railway station. Toft Monks mill is a disused drainage windpump which once drained the marshes into the River Waverney.
Haddiscoe was the site of Norfolk's only Knight's Templar Preceptory, dissolved in the 14th Century.
A stray V-1 rocket landed in Haddiscoe during the Second World War.
It was the home of the landscape painter Sir John Arnesby Brown, who is buried in the Church cemetery.
The 'Haddiscoe Hoard', the largest hoard of civil war coins found in Norfolk to date, was discovered on 17 July 2003 by a workman on a flood defence scheme. St Mary's Church at Haddiscoe is one of the 124 round-tower churches of Norfolk, believed - despite its round tower- to be of early Norman origin. Jan Pier Pier, a 16th-century Dutch immigrant and creator of some of the dykes surrounding the village, is buried in the Church nave. The Church also contains frescoes from the 14th century representing the Black Death of 1349.