Hackney, or Hackney St. John, is one of the ancient parishes of Middlesex. In 1889 the civil parish was transferred to the newly-created County of London and in 1900 became Hackney Metropolitan Borough. Hackney Metropolitan Borough was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the Hackney London Borough in Greater London.
The historical and administrative heart of Hackney is the area roughly extending north from Mare Street and surrounding the Church of St John-at-Hackney; known as Hackney Central. To the north of the borough are Upper Clapton and Lower Clapton, Stamford Hill and Stoke Newington. To the east is the large open space of Hackney Marshes and the districts of Hackney Wick and Homerton. Light industries in the area around the River Lea employ over 3,000 people.
Metropolitan Borough of Hackney
The Metropolitan Borough of Hackney was a Metropolitan borough of the County of London from 1900 to 1965. Its area became part of the London Borough of Hackney in 1965. The metropolitan borough was one of twenty-eight created by the London Government Act 1899. It was the successor to the vestry of the parish of Hackney, which had been the local authority since 1855.
The metropolitan borough included the districts of Hackney, Upper and Lower Clapton, Homerton, Dalston and Kingsland. It also included Stoke Newington Common, and the entire eastern side of Stoke Newington High Street.
The ancient parish of Hackney was originally dedicated to St. Augustine, but by c.1660 it had been rededicated to St John the Baptist and is usually referred to as St John at Hackney. It was in the Diocese of London. From 1825, as the population of Hackney increased, a number of new parishes were formed. A list of these parishes may be found in Wikipedia, very close to the bottom of the webpage.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Hackney.