Place:Hackford near Wymondham, Norfolk, England

NameHackford near Wymondham
Alt namesHakefordasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 190
Hackford by Hingham
Hackford near Hingham
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.5771°N 1.0241°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoForehoe Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Deopham, Norfolk, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935
South Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: There is also a place further north in Norfolk named Hackford-by-Reepham and sometimes "Hackford with Whitwell".

Hackford near Wymondham was an ancient and civil parish in the middle of Norfolk until 1935 when it was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Deopham. Since 1974 the parish is known as Deopham and Hackford. There are very few references other than the one given below.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hackford near Wymondham (also known as Hackford by Hingham) from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HACKFORD, a parish in Forehoe [registration] district, Norfolk; on the river Yare, 1½ mile S by W of Kimberley [railway] station, and 2½ E of Hingham. Post town: Hingham, under Attleborough. Acres: 754. Real property: £1,617. Population: 222. Houses: 57. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £225. Patron: B. Gurdon, Esq. The church is ancient but good, and has a square tower. Charities, £11."

Research Tips

GENUKI provides a list of references for Hackford near Wymondham. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.