|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England ( - 1935)|
|See also||Eynesford Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Aylsham Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Reepham, Norfolk, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
|Broadland District, Norfolk, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
NOTE: There is also a place named Hackford near Wymondham further south in Norfolk. Hackford near Wymondham is more often considered to be, simply, "Hackford", than is Hackford-by-Reepham.
Hackford-by-Reepham was absorbed into the civil parish of Reepham in 1935. It was a community located to the west of the larger settlement.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hackford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HACKFORD BY REEPHAM, a parish in Aylsham [registration] district, Norfolk; on a branch of the river Wensum, contiguous to the W side of Reepham parish, and 7 miles E by N of Elmham [railway] station. It includes a suburb of Reepham; and its post town is Reepham, under Norwich. Acres: 754. Real property: £3,652. Population: 761. Houses: 178. The property is divided among a few. Hackford Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Whitwell, in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £328. Patron: G. H. Holley, Esq. The church was burnt in 1600; and now the church of Whitwell serves also for Hackford. Charities, £27."
- The FamilySearch Wiki combines Whitwell with Hackford as it was a joint ecclesiastical parish. This article is useful as a finding aid rather than a description of the place.
- The Ordnance Survey Map of Norfolk revised 1944 illustrates Reepham and the surrounding parishes which, by the time of the map, had been absorbed into the parish.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Hackford-by-Reepham. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Hackford-by-Reepham, Norfolk, England | Eynesford Hundred, Norfolk, England | Aylsham Rural, Norfolk, England | Reepham, Norfolk, England | Broadland District, Norfolk, England