- Northern Border = Town of Hartsville and Town of Canisteo
- Southern Border = Town of West Union and the Town of Troupsburg
- Eastern Border = Town of Jasper
- Western Border = Town of Andover in Allegany County
- The hamlet lies primarily between two bridges over Bennetts Creek with State Route 248 (Main Street) bridging over the creek once again in between them. Downtown Greenwood lies at the foot of Cole Hollow. The hamlet extends northward towards State Route 417 and it extends southward past the foot of Christian Hollow where County Route 60 intersects with State Route 248. At the foot of Dryden Hill between Cole and Christian Hollows, the neighborhood of Church Hill overlooks Downtown from the West.
- Located along Bennetts Creek between the hamlets of Greenwood and Rexville, on Rough and Ready Road, which loops off of State Route 248.
- Located along State Route 417 near the crest of Greenwood Hill between the hamlets of Greenwood and Andover.
Search for specific individuals by populating the "exact wording or phrase" box, as additions to the search form:
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
A pioneer road was cut through the town in the 18th Century, but no settlers remained in the town.
The first permanent settlers arrived around 1820. Salt production was an early industry.
The main industry today is deer hunting, for which the town claims to be the top deer-take town in New York State.
Greenwood was formed in 1827 from the Towns of Canisteo and Troupsburg. Part of Greenwood was used to form the Town of West Union in 1845, but territory was regained from the Town of Jasper in 1848.
By the early 20th century, agriculture had established itself as the primary economic activity in the town. Farming has since declined significantly, as in many parts of rural America, and forest cover has largely returned to many areas.
From November 16, 1896 through June 1936 Greenwood was served by the New York & Pennsylvania Railway (and predecessors) as part of its Canisteo NY to Ceres NY (via Greenwood NY, Genesee PA, Oswayo and Shinglehouse PA) main line. Following severe floods in July 1935 the railroad was partially out of service and its abandonment in June 1936 was readily approved by the Interstate Commerce Commission which from an early date approved railroad abandonment to promote highway truck use. The loss of railroad service did much to promote the economic withering of the Greenwood area.
- General Description
- Early Settlement
Greenwood New York Historical Society on Facebook
Greenwood Photos @ Painted Hills
Photographs available via the link above include the following:
- Looking north from the hamlet of Greenwood over Bennetts Creek
- Greenwood Union School
- Methodist Episcopal Church on the west side of North Main Street
- Other photos which may (or may not!) pertain to Greenwood
Early Postcards, including Greenwood
- Balsby: John Balsby (1828)
- Ezekiel Burger
- Hiram Burger
- Burrows: William Burrows (1830)
- Carr: "Hoose" Carr
- Cook: Anson Cook
- Crampton: William Crampton
- Davenport: Joseph Davenport
- Crossing: Joseph Crossing (1828)
- Davis: Levi and Mary (Spurr) Davis (1824)
- Davis: Levi and Mary (Spurr) Davis (1824)
- Dutcher: John J. Dutcher (1826)
- Edwards: Benjamin Edwards (1830)
- Foote: David Foote
- Ferguson: William Ferguson
- Goldsmith: Joshua Goldsmith
- Holloway: Timothy Holloway
- Holt: John J. Holt
- Ingley: Uriah Ingley
- Johnson: Thomas Johnson
- Kellogg: Silas Kellogg
- Aden Lewis
- Amos Lewis
- Linden Lewis
- Lovejoy: Ezra Lovejoy
- Mallory: Samuel Mallory (1828)
- Manning: Deacon Jacob Manning (1823)
- Matteson: John Matteson
- Mathews: Mr. Mathews
- Alvin Mead
- Enos Mead (1827)
- Daniel McCormick (1832)
- James McCormick (1834)
- Mills: Ira Mills
- Miner: Allen and Dorothy (Dyer) Miner (1827)
- Murray: David Murray
- Norton: Sebe Norton
- Olmstead: Abram V. Olmstead
- Ordway: Enoch Ordway
- Pease: Randall Pease (1827)
- Pilgrim: Francis Pilgrim
- Potter: John Potter
- Powell: Stephen Powell
- Putnam: Hiram Putnam
- Alvah Richards (1834)
- Nathaniel Richards (1828)
- Robert Richards
- Dennis Sanford (1824)
- Elisha Sanford
- Smith: Enos Smith (1828)
- Alexander H. Stephens (1821)
- Col. John H. Stephens (1825)
- John Stephens
- Phineas Stephens
- Uriah Stephens
- Located approximately where the Town Highway Department's main garage is now situated
- One-Room District Schools
- Now part of Bennetts Creek Bible Church
- Now part of a private residence
- Foundation can be found in the woods near the foot of Wheeler Hill Road
- The former Greenwood Central School now serves as the middle school for the merged Canisteo-Greenwood Central School. This Art Deco style structure sits atop the "Triple Terraces" from which the name of the school's yearbook was derived.
- In 2012, the Canisteo-Greenwood Central School Board of Education voted to close the Canisteo-Greenwood Middle School; the change became effective for the 2012-2013 academic year. The school district retains ownership of the building and is using it for storage.
- 7 July 2012: A "Farewell to Greenwood Central School" celebration was held on the athletic fields.
- Summer 2014: Building utilized for Canisteo-Greenwood Central School summer programs during renovations to buildings in Canisteo.
- This church stood near the foot of Christian Hollow Road on Main Street in the hamlet of Greenwood; the structure is now occupied by an American Legion Post.
- This church stood at the intersection of Flynn and Wallace Roads, north of the hamlet of West Union in the neighboring Town of West Union; only its cemetery remains. The successor to this church is St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in the hamlet of Rexville, in the adjacent Town of West Union. St. Mary's is now part of a clustered parish, Our Lady of the Valley, which also encompasses the Roman Catholic Churches of Canisteo and Hornell.
- This church was the source of the name, "Church Hill," for the hillside neighborhood overlooking the hamlet of Greenwood. After the church was abandoned, it was acquired by William Greenwood and Maud (Williamson) Kellogg and converted into a private residence about 1911.
- Bennetts Creek Bible Church
- Partially constructed from a former one-room schoolhouse.
- Located in the hamlet of Greenwood on North Main Street.
- Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Photographs and locations are included in the following external links:
- No one is buried in this "cemetery"; these original grave markers were removed from the Greenwood Cemetery when the Kellogg family replaced them with "upgrades."
Greenwood Volunteer Fire Company
- 23 October 1944--Organized by the following members:
- Jerry Burd
- Victor Chaffee
- Arthur Day (Treasurer)
- Ory Freeland
- Ransom Guild (Vice President)
- Elihu Hale
- Robert Henry (elected Second Assistant 10 November 1944)
- Merrill Holt
- William Knepshield (President)
- Orville Matthews
- Lewis Murdock
- Harry Ray
- Norman Robideaux (elected Fire Chief 10 November 1944)
- Marion Streeter (Secretary) [Mr. Francis Marion Streeter]
- 24 October 1944--Members Added
- Mahlon Kernan (elected First Assistant 10 November 1944)
- Stanley Murray
- 14 February 1945--Formally Organized
- Benjamin Burger
- William Kellogg
- John Rogers
- August 1945--"The firemen accepted the Mason's offer of a 99 year lease where the fire hall now stands. The foundation for the hall was completed that fall with Ralph Wilcox hired as head carpenter and firemen donating the rest of the labor. The building continued through the spring of 1946."
- 1967--"Mrs. Jeanette Cornell [sic, Janette (Streeter) Cornell, sister of F. Marion Streeter] gave the firemen a lot on the west side of the fire hall and an addition was constructed to house the ambulance."
- August 1972--Hosted Steuben County Firemen's Convention
- As documented in "Fire Convention Host Has a Rich History" ([Evening Tribune [Hornell, NY]], August 1972)
- 1945--1917 La France Pumper from Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
- Chaffee's Hardware
- Coston's Store
For More Information
Questions & Answers
Post your question to the Greenwood New York Historical Society Facebook Page and perhaps someone will be able to answer it.
Additional External Links