Place:Great Sankey, Lancashire, England

Watchers
NameGreat Sankey
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates53.392°N 2.6383°W
Located inLancashire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inCheshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoWarrington Rural, Lancashire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Warrington (metropolitan borough), Cheshire, Englandmetropolitan borough in which it has been located since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this article is based on one in Wikipedia

Great Sankey has been, since 1974, a civil parish and suburb of Warrington in Cheshire, England. It is 2 miles (3.2 km) west of Warrington town centre and had a population in 2001 of 24,211.

History

The village of Great Sankey was originally a chapelry in Prescot parish in Lancashire. It formally became a separate civil parish in 1866. It became part of Warrington Rural District in 1894 and was transferred to Cheshire in 1974 as part of Warrington.

There was industrial growth along the banks of the Sankey Canal at Sankey Bridges during the 19th century but otherwise the area was rural. RAF Burtonwood was built on the outskirts in 1939. Since then, the area transformed into a residential suburb for Warrington New Town.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Great Sankey. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.