Great Mongeham is a village in the eastern part of Kent, on the outskirts of Deal. Its name is derived from Mundelingham or village of Mundel. Parts of Great Mongeham's church, St Martin's, date back to the 13th century. In the 19th century it was restored by William Butterfield.
From 1894 until 1935 Great Mongeham had been a civil parish in the Eastry Rural District. In 1935 Great Mongeham ceased to be a civil parish when it was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Deal. When rural district councils were abolished in 1974 the area was transferred to Dover District and, through a reorganization of wards within Dover District, Great Mongeham is now a civil parish again.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Great Mongeham.