Granby is a town in Hampshire County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 6,420 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Springfield, Massachusetts Metropolitan Statistical Area. The town partially overlaps with the census-designated place of Granby.
Granby was once part of Hadley as was other towns. Granby was first settled in 1727 and was officially incorporated in 1768. The town is named in honor of John Manners, Marquess of Granby, a hero of the Seven Years' War. Granby was originally part of Hadley equivalent lands, and then South Hadley, before being incorporated on June 11, 1768. Old Hadley was first settled in 1659 by people from Hartford and Wethersfield, Connecticut. These settlers left Connecticut because of religious differences within their communities. John Pynchon was commissioned to buy wilderness land for their new community. Pynchon purchased the land from three Native American chiefs, Chickwallop, Umpanchala and Quontquont. Ownership was transferred to the settlers and confirmed by the General Court. These original boundaries include part of present day Granby.
Granby is one of only three towns in Massachusetts whose local telephone service is not furnished by the former Bell System (Granby has always had its own telephone company, the Granby Telephone Company). The other two such towns are Richmond and Hancock, both in Berkshire County.