Place:Gnadenhutten, Tuscarawas, Ohio, United States

Watchers


NameGnadenhutten
Alt namesGnaden'nsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS39007126
Gnadenhuettensource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS39007126
TypeVillage
Coordinates40.361°N 81.432°W
Located inTuscarawas, Ohio, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Gnadenhutten is a village located on the Tuscarawas River in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, United States and is Ohio's oldest existing settlement. The population was 1,288 at the 2010 census.

Gnadenhutten was founded as a settlement of German Americans and Lenape Native Americans affiliated with the Moravian Church. This community remained neutral during the American Revolutionary War, but ninety-six Lenape were massacred in 1782 in the Gnadenhütten massacre by American militia in retaliation for raids carried out by other bands.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

See the Gnadenhutten massacre.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Gnadenhutten, Ohio. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.