- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Gayton is a small village and civil parish in the west of the English county of Norfolk. It is 7.3 miles east of the town of King's Lynn, and 10.1 miles north-west of the town of Swaffham. The Gaywood River has its source just north of the village at Derby Fen. The village sides astride the B1145 Kings Lynn to Mundesley road that dissects North Norfolk west to east.
Nearby is Gayton Hall, the home of The Earl & Countess of Romney, whose gardens are open to the public.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Gayton. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901