Foston is a small village and civil parish in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is located 6.1 miles (10 km) northwest of Grantham, just off the A1 road. This is an ancient crossroads, situated on the northern edge of the Vale of Belvoir.
Foston is traditionally a farming village. The River Witham runs to the north of the village; the Foston Beck runs along the eastern border; and the parish covers around 850 hectares. Neighbouring villages include Long Bennington, Westborough, Allington and Marston.
Early in the English Civil War a battle took place on Gonerby Moor between Foston and Marston in 1643, the same year that Oliver Cromwell won his first victory over the Royalists at Grantham. (Note: This was not the Battle of Marston Moor which took place a year later in Yorkshire.) The Royalists were defeated in 1647, and King Charles I was executed two years later. The monarchy was restored with Charles II in 1660.
The Anglican Church of St Peter dates back to at least the 13th Century, although in 1858 it received substantial restoration and was partially rebuilt under the direction of Charles Kirk. The parish register for burials and baptisms begins in 1626. Marriages were included in the Long Bennington register until 1766. There was a Wesleyan Methodists Chapel that was situated on Chapel Lane. This has taken down and bungalows and houses built on the site.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.