Fleet Marston is a civil parish and deserted medieval village in the Aylesbury Vale district of Buckinghamshire, England. It is to the west of Aylesbury. The main A41 between Aylesbury and Waddesdon runs through the middle of the parish.
The toponym "Marston" is derived from the Old English for "marsh farm". The prefix "Fleet" refers to a stream in the parish, and was added to distinguish the village from nearby North Marston. The Domesday Book of 1086 records the village as Mersetone. In the 13th century the village name was recorded as Flettemerstone.
There is evidence that there has been a church in Fleet Marston since at least 1223, although the main building appears to be of 14th century design. Existing church records date back to 1630. Some buildings in the village, including Fleet Marston Farm, date from the 17th century. Shortly after his ordination as deacon in 1725 John Wesley is known to have preached his first sermon at Fleet Marston. The manor referred to in the below entry stood near the church, and was demolished in 1772. In 1806 Magna Britannia described Fleet Marston as follows:
FLEET-MARSTON, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies about three miles from Aylesbury, on the road to Bicester. The manor, which was for many years in the Lees, has been lately purchased of their representative, Lord Dillon, by James Dupré esq. of Wilton Park. The advowson of the rectory being then the property of John Tirrel-Morin esq. was advertised for sale in the month of May 1805.
By 1851 the parish was already in decline. The religious census of 1851 recorded that the population of the village was 30, with just 8 attending church on Sunday 30 March. By 1871 the population had reduced to 23, living in 5 houses.
Little remains of the village today. To the south of the parish is the farm at Putlowes and Putlowes Cottages just to the south west of the A41. In the centre of the parish, just to the north east of the A41 are some smaller farms and the redundant St. Mary's parish church. To the north of the parish are Fleet Marston Farm (incorporating the farm shop), Fleet Marston Cottages and Lower Fleetmarston Farm. The latter can only be accessed via the Berryfields Road in Quarrendon parish (another deserted village). In all the parish has an area of .
The main line railway, the Great Central and Metropolitan Joint line ran through the parish though this has long since been downgraded to a single, freight only line. However Chiltern Railways recently extended the line running from London Marylebone to Aylesbury. The line now runs to a new station, Aylesbury Vale Parkway, which is near Fleet Marston.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References