Place:Fishponds, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameFishponds
TypeVillage, Suburb
Coordinates51.4805°N 2.5241°W
Located inGloucestershire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inAvon, England     (1974 - 1996)
Gloucestershire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoStapleton, Gloucestershire, Englandparish of which Fishponds was part
Bristol, Gloucestershire, Englandcity into which the parish of Stapleford was absorbed in 1898
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Fishponds from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"FISHPONDS, a chapelry in Stapleton parish, Gloucester; near the West Midland railway, 3¼ miles NE of Bristol. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bristol. The acreage and population are returned with the parish. The rated property amounts to £10,955, and is not much divided; but there are many good villas. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Stapleton. The church is good."

Fishponds is now a outer suburb of Place:Bristol, Gloucestershire, England. For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Fishponds. Wikipedia's article describes the various and numerous industries that existed over the past century and a half in the Fishponds area. Fishponds was also the location of the local workhouse. A local history group in Bristol has a website including a list of all the deaths in the workhouse 1860-1879 with more to be added.

Stapleton was absorbed into Bristol in 1898.

Research Tips

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!