Finsbury is No. 8 on the map.
Finsbury is an area to the north of the City of London. It lies immediately north of the City of London, west of Shoreditch, and south of Islington and City Road. Historically there was no parish of Finsbury. In 1889 the area was transferred to the newly-created County of London. In 1900 the Finsbury Metropolitan Borough was created, covering the parishes of
In 1915 these five were combined into a single civil parish called Finsbury, which was conterminous with the metropolitan borough. Finsbury Metropolitan Borough was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of Islington in Greater London.
Formation and boundaries
Previous to the borough's formation it had been administered by three separate local bodies: Holborn District Board of Works, Clerkenwell Vestry and St Luke's Vestry. Charterhouse had not been under the control of any local authority prior to 1900.
As well as the areas of Finsbury, Clerkenwell, and St. Luke's described above, the borough also covered the area of Moorfields. It bordered the City of London, and the metropolitan boroughs of Islington, Shoreditch, Holborn and St. Pancras.
In the Middle Ages Finsbury was part of the great fen which lay outside the walls of the City of London. It gave its name to the Finsbury division of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In the early 17th century trees were planted and gravel walks made, and the area became a place for recreation. In 1641 the Honourable Artillery Company moved to Finsbury, where it still remains, and in 1665 the Bunhill Fields burial ground was opened in the area. The City of London Yeomanry (COLY) also had its headquarters in nearby Finsbury Square when founded at the time of the Second Boer War.
Building on Finsbury Fields began in the late 17th century. The parish church of St Luke's was built in 1732-33, and at the end of the 18th century a residential suburb was built with its centre at Finsbury Square.
The Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury in the County of London was created in 1900, covering the area of Finsbury and Clerkenwell. The borough was abolished in 1965 and absorbed into the borough of Islington.