|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Aloesbridge Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England|rural district in which it was located 1894-1934|
|Snargate, Kent, England||civil parish to which the land was transferred in 1934|
|Shepway District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Fairfield is part of the Church of England parish of Brookland and Fairfield on Walland Marsh (part of Romney Marsh) in the Shepway District of Kent, England. Until 1934 it was a civil parish, but was then absorbed into the civil parish of Snargate. The area lies west of the village of Brookland.
The area is most notable for the isolated church of St Thomas a Becket, a Grade I listed building, in the Romney Deanery. (Illustration in Wikipedia)
Fairfield was originally an ancient parish in Aloesbridgee Hundred.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Fairfield, Kent, England | Aloesbridge Hundred, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England | Snargate, Kent, England | Shepway (district), Kent, England