|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England ( - 1937)|
|See also||Auckland St. Andrew, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Auckland Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1937|
|Bishop Auckland, Durham, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1937|
|Sedgefield District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Escomb was originally a township in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Auckland Rural District. In 1937 it was abolished and absorbed into Bishop Auckland. Between 1974 and 2009 the area became part of the larger Sedgefield non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Escomb is a village on the River Wear about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) west of Bishop Auckland, County Durham, England. The population was 3,323 (for the ward, including Witton Park) in the UK census of 2001.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Escomb. Includes short History and Economy sections with detailed information.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Escomb from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ESCOMB, a parochial chapelry in Auckland district, Durham; on the river Wear, and on the Weardale railway, 1½ mile WNW of Bishop-Auckland. Post town: Bishop-Auckland, under Darlington. Acres: 840. Real property: £15,360; of which £11,250 are in mines, and £70 on the railway. Population in 1851: 1,293; in 1861: 3,743. Houses: 649. The property is subdivided. The chief employment is coal-mining. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patron: the Bishop of Durham. The church was at one time prebendal to Auckland college; was annexed, in 1501, to Durham deanery; and is in tolerable condition. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists."
Categories: Durham, England | Escomb, Durham, England | Auckland St. Andrew, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Auckland Rural, Durham, England | Bishop Auckland, Durham, England | Sedgefield District, Durham, England