- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Edgeworth is a small village and civil parish in the English county of Gloucestershire. It is located east of Stroud, west of Cirencester and south of Cheltenham.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Edgeworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "EDGEWORTH, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; near Ermine-street, 3½ miles NE of Brimscombe [railway] station, and 5½ NW of Cirencester. Post town, Bisley, under Stroud. Acres: 1,566. Real property: £1,734. Population: 139. Houses: 28. The property is divided among a few. The surface is hilly. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £321. Patron: the Rev. G. F. E. Shaw. The church has Norman traces, and is good. Charities, £6.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Edgeworth from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11/Bisley hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851 provides a map illustrating the locations of the various Gloucestershire parishes.
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Bisley (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Edgeworth, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England
Help fund new features!