Place:Edgeworth, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameEdgeworth
Alt namesEgeisuurdesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 112
Egeswordesource: Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 248
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates51.75°N 2.083°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoBisley (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Edgeworth is a small village and civil parish in the English county of Gloucestershire. It is located east of Stroud, west of Cirencester and south of Cheltenham.

A 19th century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Edgeworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"EDGEWORTH, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; near Ermine-street, 3½ miles NE of Brimscombe [railway] station, and 5½ NW of Cirencester. Post town, Bisley, under Stroud. Acres: 1,566. Real property: £1,734. Population: 139. Houses: 28. The property is divided among a few. The surface is hilly. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £321. Patron: the Rev. G. F. E. Shaw. The church has Norman traces, and is good. Charities, £6.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Edgeworth, Gloucestershire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.