East Lulworth is a hamlet nine miles east of Dorchester, near Lulworth Cove, in the Purbeck district of Dorset, South West England. It consists of 17th century thatched cottages. The village is now dominated by the barracks of the Royal Armoured Corps Gunnery School who use a portion of the Purbeck Hills as a gunnery range.
The nearby Weld Estate Castle Park grounds contains the first Roman Catholic chapel to be built (in the form of a Greek mausoleum in 1786) since the time of the Protestant Reformation. it was the private chapel of the Weld family and designed by John Tasker. It cost £2,380 to build.
The Church of England parish church is dedicated to St. Andrew. Only the perpendicular tower and octagonal font are original, the remainder of the church was built in 1864. It was designed by John Hicks, who also designed East Holme church.
Henry Rolls (1803-1877) was a shoemaker who taught himself to read and write. He kept a journal of the main happenings of village life from 1824 until 1877. After Henry's death, his son George Rolls (1846-1929) continued the journal covering the period from 1877 to 1928. George’s daughter Agnes Mary Rolls (1879-1961) then took over responsibility for the journal from 1929 to 1955. There is also a village named West Lulworth, a short distance along the coast.