Place:East Clandon, Surrey, England

Watchers
NameEast Clandon
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.25°N 0.483°W
Located inSurrey, England
See alsoWoking Hundred, Surrey, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Guildford Rural, Surrey, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Guildford District, Surrey, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

East Clandon is a village and civil parish in Surrey, England bisected by the A246 road between the towns of Guildford to the west and Leatherhead to the east. Neighbouring villages include West Clandon and West Horsley.

In 2011 the parish had a population of 268 in 109 households clustered around three buildings, the church of St Thomas of Canterbury, The Queen's Head pub and the village hall. Included within the parish is Hatchlands Park, a National Trust administered estate and mansion, which replaced the original manor house.

Chertsey Abbey, a Benedictine foundation, was patron of East Clandon from the Norman Conquest of 1066 to the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539. The church was built in the 12th and 13th centuries and is a Grade I listed building (the highest category). The main addition to it has been a bell tower added in 1900.

In 1544 Henry VIII granted East Clandon Manor to Sir Anthony Browne. The manor house, thought to have been close to where Hatchlands Park now is, was moated since times of unrest in the early 14th century. The house, and with it the village, changed hands many times during the next 200 years.

In 1749 the London brewer John Raymond sold the Hatchlands Park estate to Admiral Boscawen. The present Hatchlands House was built for him with the help of prize money from his victory over the French at the Siege of Louisburg during the Seven Years War, and it was completed in 1758, only three years before the Admiral died.

Surrey Research Tips

Government

Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)

Registration Districts

  • Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.

GENUKI provisions

The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:

  • Archives and Libraries
  • Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
  • 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
  • Lists of cemeteries
  • Local family history societies
  • A list of historic maps online

History


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at East Clandon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.