- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Driffield from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DRIFFIELD, a parish in Cirencester [registration] district, Gloucester; adjacent to the Thames and Severn canal, 3½ miles SE by E of Cirencester [railway] station. Post town, Cirencester. Acres: 1,310. Real property: £1,661. Population: 132. Houses: 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £270. Patron: the Rev. R. M. Ashe. The church is good; and a school has £12 from endowment."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Crownthorne and Minety (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Driffield, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England