Place:Dyrham and Hinton, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameDyrham and Hinton
Alt namesDirham
Hinton
TypeParish
Coordinates51.4833°N 2.3667°W
Located inGloucestershire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inAvon, England     (1974 - 1996)
Gloucestershire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoGrumbalds Ash (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which it was located
South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, Englandunitary authority of which it has been part since 1996
source: Family History Library Catalog


The civil parish of Dyrham and Hinton has been since 1996 located in the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire within the ceremonial county of Gloucestershire.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Dyrham and Hinton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"DIRHAM AND HINTON, or Dyrham, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury [registration] district, Gloucester; on an affluent of the river Avon, among the Cotswolds, contiguous to Wilts, 4½ miles S by E of Chipping-Sodbury, and 6 E of Mangotsfield [railway] station. It has a post office, of the name of Dyrham, under Chippenham. Acres: 3,005. Real property: £5,462. Population: 457. Houses: 95. The property is divided among a few. Dirham Park is the seat of G. W. Blathwayt, Esq.; and contains a fine collection of paintings. A camp on Hinton-hill is thought by some to have been a Roman outpost of Bath; by others to have been formed in connexion with a battle between the Britons and the Saxons in 599. The parish is a meet for the Beaufort hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £501. Patron: G. W. Blathwayt, Esq. The church is early English, with a square tower; and has two brasses. There is an endowed school."
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

The Domesday Book of 1086 records the tenant-in-chief of Dyrham as William FitzWido who held seven hides in Dyrham, formerly the land of Aluric. The manor passed to the Norman magnate Wynebald de Ballon, and then via the Newmarch family to the Russell family, notably being held by John Russell (died c.1224) and William Russell (1257–1311). By the 15th century the manor had passed into the Denys family, the most notable holder being William Denys (1470–1533). After the family accumulated debts in the 16th century, the manor was sold to the Wynter family and then the Blathwayte family, who built the present mansion known as Dyrham Park, which is said to incorporate some of the structure of the earlier manor house.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Dyrham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.