Place:Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe, Canterbury, England

Watchers


NameDiocese of Gibraltar in Europe
Alt namesDiocese in Europesource: Wikipedia
TypeDiocese
Located inCanterbury, England


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe, also called simply the Diocese in Europe, is geographically the largest diocese of the Church of England and arguably the largest diocese in the Anglican Communion, covering some one-sixth of the Earth's landmass, including Morocco, Europe (excluding the British Isles but including Iceland), Turkey and the territory of the former Soviet Union.

The cathedral is the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Gibraltar and it is headed by the Bishop in Europe, who is assisted by the Suffragan Bishop in Europe. The current bishop is the Right Reverend Geoffrey Rowell, who was enthroned in Gibraltar Cathedral on 1 November 2001. The current suffragan bishop is the Right Reverend David Hamid, who was consecrated bishop on 17 October 2002. The pro-cathedrals are St Paul's Cathedral, Valletta, Malta, and Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Brussels, Belgium.

The diocese is attached to the Province of Canterbury. The Diocese of Gibraltar was created on 29 September 1842 and at that time covered all Anglican chaplaincies from Portugal to the Caspian Sea. On 30 June 1980, the diocese was amalgamated with the Jurisdiction of North and Central Europe (exercised by the Bishop of London through the Suffragan Bishop of Fulham) and renamed the Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe. It is divided into seven archdeaconries.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.