Place:Dickleburgh, Norfolk, England

Alt namesDicclesburcsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 188
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.385°N 1.169°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1974)
See alsoDiss Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Depwade Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Dickleburgh and Rushall, Norfolk, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1974
South Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Dickleburgh from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"DICKLEBURGH, a village and a parish in Depwade [registration] district, Norfolk. The village stands on the Roman road to Norwich, near an affluent of the river Waveney, 2 miles SW of Burston [railway] station, and 3½ NE by E of Diss; and has a post office under Scole. The parish includes also the hamlet of Langmere. Acres: 2,343. Real property: £4,034. Population: 895. Houses: 201. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Orford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £794. Patron: Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is a handsome edifice, with a square tower; and contains monuments to George Lee and the Turner family. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £27 from endowment; and other charities £56."

In 1974, as part of the nationwide reorganization of municipalities, Dickleburgh joined forces with the neighbouring parish of Rushall to become Dickleburgh and Rushall parish in the South Norfolk District of Norfolk. Dickleburgh is about 4 miles E.N.E. of Diss.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for Dickleburgh. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
  • GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch: