Place:Devonport, Devon, England

Watchers
NameDevonport
Alt namesPlymouth Docksource: Pre-1824
TypeTown
Coordinates50.370212°N 4.17944°W
Located inDevon, England
Also located inStoke Damerel, Devon, England     ( - 1888)
Plymouth, Devon, England     (1914 - present)

The town of Devonport was developed around the Royal Navy dockyards on the banks of the Tamar. The town was originally called Plymouth Dock, but in 1823 changed its name to Devonport. From 1837 there was a Devonport Municipal Borough, which covered the ancient parish of Stoke Damerel within which Devonport lay. In 1888/9 both the old parish of Stoke Damerel and the municipal borough of Devonport were abolished, being replaced with the Devonport County Borough. This body continued until 1914, when it was absorbed into the Plymouth County Borough. Plymouth was made a city in 1928.