Place:Deerhurst, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameDeerhurst
Alt namesDerhestesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 112
TypeTown
Coordinates51.967°N 2.183°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoWestminster (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which part of the parish was located
Deerhurst (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which part of the parish was located
Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1935
Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1935-1974
Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, Englandmunicipal district of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


Deerhurst is a village near Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire, England on the east bank of the River Severn. Its long history (described in Wikipedia) is sufficient to see why it was the meeting place of a Hundred when hundreds described groups of communities whose representatives met together at intervals.

The parish includes the hamlets of Deerhurst Walton (or Deerhurst-Walton), Apperley and Whitefield. Each has been redirected here.

A 19th century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Deerhurst from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"DEERHURST, a village, a parish, a [registration] sub-district, and a hundred in Gloucester. The village stands on the river Severn, at the boundary with Worcester, 2 miles SW of Tewkesbury town and [railway] station; was formerly called Deorhurst and Deortyrst; and gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Coventry. The parish includes also the hamlets of Deerhurst-Walton and Apperley-with-Whitefield: and its post town is Tewkesbury. Acres: 2,930. Real property: £7,781. Population: 930. Houses: 207. The property is divided among a few.
"A priory was founded here, in 715, by Duke Dodo; rebuilt, in 980, after being destroyed by the Danes; was given in 1056 to St. Denis abbey, and afterwards to Tewkesbury abbey; and passed, at the dissolution, to the Throckmortous. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacy of Apperley, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £102. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was rebuilt in 1490; has Norman traces; comprises a nave and aisles, with a square tower; was renovated in 1862, at a cost of about £2,500; and contains two brasses, one of them a fine canopied brass of Chief-Baron Cassey. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
"The [registration] sub-district is in Tewkesbury [registration] district; and contains nine parishes, and parts of two others. Acres: 18,152. Population: 4,229. Houses: 948.
"The hundred consists of detached pieces; contains nine parishes and parts of three others; and is cut into two divisions, lower and upper. Acres: 11,909 and 7,970. Population of the whole: 4,994. Houses: 1,092."

Registration Districts

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

  • Deerhurst from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 8/Deerhurst hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online.
  • GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
  • A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Deerhurst. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.