Cublington was part of the Cottesloe Hundred and the Aylesbury Poor Law Union. It was located in Aylesbury Rural District until 1934 when it was transferred to Wing Rural District. In 1974 Wing Rural District was dissolved and the parish joined Aylesbury Vale District with much of the rest of northern Buckinghamshire.
Cublington is a village and one of 110 civil parishes within Aylesbury Vale district in Buckinghamshire, England. It is about seven miles (11 km) north of Aylesbury. The village name is Anglo Saxon in origin, and means 'Cubbel's estate'. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was recorded as Coblincote.
The parish church of St Nicholas is built in the perpendicular style. The tower of the church is decorated with blank tracery windows. Inside, the chancel arch has unusual corbels of a man and a monkey. At one time there was also a Methodist Chapel in the village.
North west of the church the 18th century stable block of the former manor house survives, it is an impressive building built of brick. A granary also survives built on an arcaded basement. This is rare as granaries in the area tended to be built on saddle stones. This type of agricultural building was generally raised from the ground to deter rodents.
There are some houses of note, these include: Old Manor Farm, a large low house with a recently created series of spectacular gardens; and opposite the church, the former rectory, dating from the 18th century with more recent additions, and an informal garden, open to the public once or twice a year. Neales Farm is an H plan half-timbered house dating from circa 1600.
The village has many old cottages, as well as small enclaves of newly built houses.
In 1971, the Report of the Roskill Commission on the London Airport expansion selected Cublington as the location of a proposed third airport for London on the basis of Cost Benefit Analysis. One Commission member, planner Colin Buchanan, produced a dissenting report rejecting the proposal to build on Cublington as "an environmental disaster." The government later rejected the Roskill recommendation on environmental grounds, in favour of a site at Maplin Sands, Foulness.
The village pub is called "The Unicorn".
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References