- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is another village named Crowhurst not far away in
East Sussex. The two should not be confused.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Crowhurst is a civil parish and dispersed village in a rural part of the Tandridge District of Surrey, England. The nearest town is Oxted, 3 miles (4.8 km) north.
The parish church is dedicated to St. George, and is architecturally Grade II listed, mostly built from the 12th to the 15th centuries. It has a chancel that was repaired and made plain in 1657. The spire was rebuilt after a fire in 1947. There are wall monuments are to: Justinian Angell (d. 1680) Margaret Gainsford (d. 1691) and a wall tomb to Richard Marryott (d. 1675). A larger tomb chest is to John Gaynesford (d. 1450).
Crowhurst Place is a timber-frame Grade I listed house partly built 1425-1450 sited at the summit of a gradual slope about 1 mile (1.6 km) south of Crowhurst church. It faces the east and is surrounded by a moat. The property was conveyed for the Gainsford family of the manor who held it from 1418, having acquired it from John atte Hall and Joan (in the customs of the time, presumably his wife).
John Gainsford, who died in 1450, had a younger son William, who was Knight of the Shire (equivalent to Member of Parliament) for Surrey in the year of his father's death. His descendants were a locally irrelevant Gainsford line from Cowden in Kent. The Rev. George Gainsford of this line, retiring as vicar of Hitchin, bought Crowhurst Place about 1905. He died in 1910 and his son the Rev. G. B. Gainsford became the owner.
Tenant George Crawley, an amateur architect who also designed Westbury House on Long Island in the United States, made alterations during his residence at Crowhurst Place in the early 20th century, then expanded the building again between 1912 and 1915 for his successor as leasee, Consuelo Vanderbilt, first wife of the 9th Duke of Marlborough.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Crowhurst. Includes another reference to the family of the Dukes of Marlborough.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
- Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:
- Archives and Libraries
- Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
- 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
- Lists of cemeteries
- Local family history societies
- A list of historic maps online