|Alt names||Crook and Billy Row||source: township in chapelry|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Brancepeth, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Auckland Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1898|
|Crook and Billy Row, Durham, England||civil parish with which it merged to become an urban district|
|Crook and Willington, Durham, England||urban district 1937-1974|
|Wear Valley District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Crook is a historic market town in County Durham, in the northeast of England.
Located a couple of miles north of the River Wear, Crook lies about 9 miles (14.5 km) south-west of the historic city of Durham and 5 miles (8km) north-west of Bishop Auckland. The A690 road from Durham turns into the A689 road leading up through Wolsingham and Stanhope into the scenic upper reaches of Weardale.
Crook was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Brancepeth in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1898 it was part of Auckland Rural District. In 1898 it joined forces with its township, Crook and Billy Row (redirected here), and became an urban district. In 1937 a number of the townships of Brancepeth became a single civil parish and urban district named Crook and Willington. From 1974 until 2009 Crook and Willington was part of the Wear Valley non-metropolitan district.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Crook from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CROOK, a township and a chapelry in Brancepeth parish, Durham. The township bears the name of Crook and Billy-row; lies on an affluent of the river Wear, and on the Weardale Extension railway, 5½ miles NNW of Bishop-Auckland; and has a station on the railway and a post office under Darlington, both of the name of Crook. Acres: 4,008. Real property: £25,981; of which £15,603 are in mines, and £500 in gas-works. Population: 5,134. Houses: 954.
- "The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1845. Population: 8,603. Houses, 1,609.
- "The property is divided among a few. Crook Hall belonged to the Hiltons and the Bakers; was the birthplace of Baker, the historian of St. John's college, Cambridge; and passed to the Williamsons. Coal is largely worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patron: the Rector of Brancepeth. The church is tolerable; and there are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, New Connexion Methodists, and Roman Catholics. The New Connexion Methodist chapel was built in 1860; and a mechanics' institute was built in 1869."
Categories: Durham, England | Crook, Durham, England | Brancepeth, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Auckland Rural, Durham, England | Crook and Willington, Durham, England | Wear Valley District, Durham, England