|Alt names||Langoroch||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 59|
|Langorroc||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 59|
|Located in||Cornwall, England|
|See also||Pyder Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|St. Columb Major Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1934|
|Newquay, Cornwall, England||urban district in which the majority of the parish was located 1934-1974|
|Truro Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district in which a smaller portion of the parish was located 1934-1974|
|St. Columb Major Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1936|
|St. Austell Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1936-2007|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Crantock (Cornish: Lanngorrow) is a coastal civil parish and a village in Cornwall, England. The village is approximately two miles (3 km) southwest of Newquay.
Crantock dates back to 460 AD when a group of Irish hermits founded an oratory there. The village lies to the south of the River Gannel which forms a natural boundary between the parishes of Newquay and Crantock. The River Gannel is tidal and ferries operate on a seasonal basis from Fern Pit to Crantock Beach. The River Gannel runs along Crantock Beach and joins the Atlantic Ocean. The village can be reached from the A3075 road via the junction at Trevemper. The hamlets of Treninnick and West Pentire are in the parish.
During the period 1894-1934 Crantock was separated into two civil parishes: Crantock Urban and Crantock Rural. Both were created from the original Crantock Civil Parish. In 1902 Crantock Rural was reduced in size to enlarge Newquay Civil Parish. In 1934 it was abolished and split between the civil parishes of Cubert and Newquay. Crantock Urban Civil Parish was completely absorbed into Newquay in 1934.
Both parts of Crantock were located in St. Columb Major Rural District from 1894 until 1934. After 1934 the majority of the area was in Newquay Urban District but the part of Crantock Rural absorbed into Cubert Civil Parish became part of Truro Rural District and also part of Truro Registration District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Crantock.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | Pyder Hundred, Cornwall, England | St. Columb Major Rural, Cornwall, England | Newquay, Cornwall, England | Truro Rural, Cornwall, England | Crantock, Cornwall, England | St. Columb Major Registration District, Cornwall, England | St. Austell Registration District, Cornwall, England | Truro Registration District, Cornwall, England