Archaeological finds, including a Neolithic polished stone axe (found to the south of the current village) and a Bronze Age barrow (to the north), suggest there has been a settlement here for thousands of years. A Roman villa was discovered in 1842. The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book as Cumbertone, and clearly dates to at least the 11th century. Some houses in the village date from the 14th century.
Comberton has a population of about 2,300 (as of 2006). It features two churches: the Church of England St Mary's, an Early English-style building dating from the 13th century, and a Baptist church dating from 1861. It also has one pub (The Three Horseshoes), shops, a primary school (Meridian Community Primary School) and a post office, a recreation ground, a doctor's surgery, a dental surgery, and at the centre of the village, a village pond with resident ducks.
The Prime Meridian is marked by a Meridian Line stone plaque on the north sides of the main road (B1046). It is opposite the Cambridge Meridian Golf Club, situated between Comberton and the neighbouring village of Toft. The line runs up the 14th fairway according to the club, but a check of the co-ordinates reveals that it is actually on the white tee of the 15th hole.
The village has a website http://www.comberton.org.uk where reasonably up to date diary activities, minutes of meetings and village magazines can be found.