Place:Cohasset, Norfolk, Massachusetts, United States

Watchers


NameCohasset
Alt namesCohasset Villagesource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS25006728
Conihassetsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS25006728
Connohassetsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS25006728
Quonahassitsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS25006728
TypeTown
Coordinates42.233°N 70.8°W
Located inNorfolk, Massachusetts, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Cohasset is a town in Norfolk County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 7,542 according to the 2010 census.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Cohasset was first seen by Europeans in 1614, when Captain John Smith explored the coast of New England. The area was first settled in 1670 and became a town separate from Hingham in 1770. Previously, what is today the town of Cohasset was known as Hingham's Second Parish. The town's name came from the Algonquian word "Conahasset", meaning "long rocky place". Much of the land was originally granted to the "Conahasset Partners".


At a special town meeting of January 1670, the shares in the new town were apportioned and divided among the new proprietors, many of whom were large Hingham landowners. The largest number of shares—35—went to Hingham Town Clerk Daniel Cushing, with the second largest (25) to Reverend Peter Hobart, Hingham's minster. Others receiving large grants were: Capt. Joshua Hobart, Peter Hobart's brother (18 shares); Lieut. John Smith (15 shares); Ensign John Thaxter (16½ shares); and deacon John Leavitt (with 14½ shares). The layout of the town was distinctive. Many lots were laid out in long narrow strips, facilitating more lots having road frontage, and avoiding back lots.

Cohasset was originally part of Suffolk County, and when the southern part of the county was set off as Norfolk County in 1793, it included the towns of Cohasset, Hingham and Hull. In 1803 Hull and Hingham opted out of Norfolk County and became part of Plymouth County, leaving Cohasset as an exclave of Norfolk County.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Cohasset, Massachusetts. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.