- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Coberley is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire in England, 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Cheltenham.
The village is in a valley at the confluence of a number of streams (Seven Springs) that form the River Churn, a tributary of the River Thames. In medieval times the village was closer to the main road, near a spring to the east of Coberley Court. A short distance to the east are the sites of the mediaeval and modern villages of Upper Coberley.
People have been labelled "de Coberley" or "of Coberley" since 1100, although early uses of the name were probably temporary descriptions rather than as an hereditary surname. It is not until the late 13th century that the name is likely to have been used by one, or several different, families as a surname. Uses of the name seem to have moved away from Coberley in the early 14th century, possibly to places such as Birlingham, Worcestershire and Devon, although no definite links have been found, and there are several places in Britain with a similar name. Over time the spelling of the name has mutated and possible variations include Coberley, Coberly, Cubberley, Cubberly, Cobleigh and Cobley.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Rapsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Coberley, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England