- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Clifford is a village and civil parish in Herefordshire, England, four miles to the north of Hay-on-Wye. It lies on the south bank of the River Wye, which here forms the border between Wales and England. Through the village runs the B4350 which is the main road.
The civil parish also includes the hamlets of Priory Wood and Hardwicke. In the 2001 census the parish had a population of 530 compared to in 2011 where it had a population of 511 according to the 2011 census.
The ruins of the Norman castle of Clifford Castle are in the village.
Newton Tump is the remains of a motte and bailey castle 3 miles southeast of the village.
In the 1870's, Clifford was described as:
- "The village stands on the river Wye, adjacent to the Hereford and Brecon railway, 2 miles NNE of Hay; and has a post office under Hereford. The parish includes also part of Vowmine township. Acres, 6, 522. Real property, £6, 209. Pop., 895. Houses, 207. A castle was built here by W. Fitzosborne; became the seat of the Cliffords of Ugbrooke; and was the birthplace of Jane de Clifford, "Fair Rosamond, " the favourite of Henry II."