Cliffe (sometimes known as Cliffe-at-Hoo) is a village on the Hoo peninsula in Kent, England, reached from the Medway Towns by a three-mile journey along the B2000 road. Situated upon a low chalk escarpment overlooking the Thames marshes, Cliffe offers the adventurous rambler views of Southend-on-Sea and London. It forms part of the parish of Cliffe and Cliffe Woods in the borough of Medway.
In 774 Offa, King of Mercia, built a rustic wooden church dedicated to St Helen, a popular Mercian saint who was by legend the daughter of Coel ('Old king Cole') of Colchester. Cliffe is cited in early records as having been called Clive and Cloveshoo (Cliffe-at-Hoo).
Cliffe at Hoo was a civil parish in Hoo Rural District from 1894 until 1934, in Strood Rural District from 1934 until 1974. In 1974 it became part of the Rochester upon Medway non-metropolitan district 1974-1998, and in 1998 was transferred to the Medway unitary authority. It was originally an ancient parish in the Shamwell Hundred of Kent.