- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Clavering is a village and also a parish in north-west Essex in England. The name 'Clavering' means 'place where clover grows'.
The parish was part of the Saffron Walden Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.
A nineteenth century desciption
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Clavering from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CLAVERING, a parish and a hundred in Essex. The parish is in Saffron-Walden [registration] district; lies on the west border of the county, 3½ miles SW of Newport [railway] station, and 6½ SW by S of Saffron-Walden; and has a post office under Bishops-Stortford. Acres: 3,798. Real property: £6,464. Population: 1,047. Houses: 243. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged at Domesday to Suene; went to the Fitz-Rogers or Claverings, who had a castle on it; and passed, through the Nevilles and others, to the Barringtons. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacy of Langley, in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £491. Patron: Christ's Hospital. The church has an effigies of a knight, a brass of the Welbores, and monuments of the Barlees; and was recently repaired. There are an Independent chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £19.
- "The hundred contains six parishes and parts of two others. Acres: 13,676. Population: 4,954. Houses: 1,058."