|Name||Churton by Aldford|
|Alt names||Churton||source: village in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England ( - 2015)|
|See also||Aldford, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a part until 1866|
|Broxton Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Chester City District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England||district municpality covering the area since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Churton by Aldford is a civil parish in the Borough of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire in England. In the UK census of 2001 it had a population of 136.
The parish includes the northern part of the village of Churton. It is associated with the nearby Church of England parish of St John the Baptist Aldford which is the nearest place of public worship.
The origins for the division of Churton into two townships goes back to the eleventh century. It has been suggested that in 1086 Aldford was originally part of the moiety of the manor held by Earl Edwin and Bigot. Churton by Farndon was a moiety belonging to the Bishop of Chester. The north south dividing line of this ecclesiastical boundary is the streets of Knowl Lane, Hob Lane, and Pump Lane.
The separation of the Aldford moiety into a district parish probably took place early in the twelfth century when, at the time, Churton was also believed to have divided by a parish boundary along the lines of a manorial border. Until the early twentieth century, the remains of steps of an ancient cross which marked the boundaries of the manors of Aldford and Farndon, could still be seen. These steps were situated at the confluence of Pump Lane and the main road through the village. Unfortunately, today there is no trace of this boundary marker.
Church House Farm (now a collection of private residences called Churchmead) is dated as being built in 1682. Land to the north of the village forms part of the Duke of Westminster's Eaton Estate and is largely farmed by Grosvenor Farms.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
According to GENUKI, Churton by Aldford was a township in Aldford ancient parish in Broxton Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It included part of the village of Churton. The population was 140 in 1801, 251 in 1851, 223 in 1901, 175 in 1951, and 136 in 2001. In 2015 the civil parish was abolished and incorporated into Churton.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Churton by Aldford, Cheshire, England | Aldford, Cheshire, England | Broxton Hundred, Cheshire, England | Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England | Chester City District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England