|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish, Village|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1871|
|Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part after 1871|
|Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1936|
|Chester Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1936-1974|
|Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England||unitary authority in which it is located since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Aldford is a village and civil parish in the county of Cheshire, England, south of the city of Chester. It has a population of 213. The village lies on the east bank of the River Dee. The Aldford Brook joins the Dee just north of the village.
Most of the houses were constructed as a designed village in the middle of the 19th century by Sir Richard Grosvenor, 2nd Marquess of Westminster, in almost rectangular form. A number of buildings in the village were designed by the architect John Douglas.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Aldford.
19th Century Description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Aldford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ALDFORD, a village, a township, and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands on an affluent of the Dee, 2½ miles ESE of Saltney [railway] station, and 6 miles S by E of Chester. It has a post office under Chester; and it was formerly a market town. A bridge here crosses an "old ford" on the line of a Roman road into Wales; and that old ford gave the place its name. Remains of a castle are in the neighbourhood, erected in the reign of Henry II., and garrisoned by Brereton in the civil war.
- "The township comprises 1,273 acres. Population: 438. Houses: 88.
- "The parish includes also the townships of Edgerley, Buerton, and Churton-by Aldford. Acres, 2,633. Real property: £4,872. Population: 731. Houses: 150.
- "The manor, with Eton Hall, belongs to the Marquis of Westminster. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value: £330. Patron, the Marquis of Westminster. The church was rebuilt in 1866, and is in the early English style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school."
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England | Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England | Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England | Chester Rural, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England | Aldford, Cheshire, England