- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Chilworth is a village in the Guildford District or Borough of Surrey, southeast of Guildford. The village occupies both sides of the Tillingbourne between outcrops of the Greensand Ridge including St. Martha's Hill. Chilworth is split between two civil parishes, St. Martha's civil parish to the east and Shalford civil parish to the west.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chilworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHILWORTH, a hamlet and a parish in Hambledon [registration] district, Surrey. The hamlet lies N of the river Wey, adjacent to the Reading and Redhill railway, 2½ miles SE by E of Guildford; and has a station on the railway. The parish is called also St. Martha-on-the-Hill; and its post town is Guildford. Acres: 1,070. Population: 168. Houses: 23. The property is divided among a few. St. Martha's Hill consists of sandstone; is about 600 feet high; and commands a rich and various view. Paper mills and powder mills are in the pretty vale of Chilworth, below the hill; but have ceased, for a time, to be worked. The living is a donative in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £25. Patron: Lord Lovaine. The church stands on St. Martha's Hill; and is a restored cruciform ancient chapel, which belonged to the priory of Newark."
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
- Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:
- Archives and Libraries
- Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
- 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
- Lists of cemeteries
- Local family history societies
- A list of historic maps online
- The Victoria History of the County of Surrey is a series of three volumes available online through British History Online. The volumes were written over the past hundred or so years by a number of authors and cover various sections of Surrey. A list of the volumes and what each contains can be found under the source Victoria History of the County of Surrey. Both volumes 3 and 4 contain areas which are part of Greater London and parts of modern Surrey.